Sunday, July 22, 2012




22/7/12


I can't believe that I've almost been here for a month already! It's going by too fast! School is going well. We had to get into groups for a project where we had to interview French people about a cultural subject of our choice. My group chose education in France. It was scary going up to random people at first, but then we got the hang of it and became more confident, and it was actually pretty fun :) 
A group of girls and I are planning a weekend trip to London next month and we're so excited! We found a reasonably priced hostel that's pretty close to where the Olympics are going to be so it should be great. 
My host family had some family over this weekend, and I met them all, which was really fun. They have a bunch of grandkids, and some of them live in the south of France, and some others live in Ireland, and have the coolest accents :)(so I was able to speak English a little bit). Today they're going to have a big party with everyone, but the other day, a few of the Irish and French grandkids who are teenagers came over while their parents and my host parents went out to dinner. They were really fun, and wanted to know about the States, and I asked them about Ireland. We found some pre-Olympic show on TV, and it was fun to watch and talk about it, having three different countries represented :) 
We went on the last two excursions, to visit some Châteaux, and the  one that I was most excited about: Normandy. They were both so interesting, and I felt like I could have spent all day at Normandy. We went to the museum first, and then to the American cemetery, which was really emotional, but so cool to see. Then we went to see some bunkers that the German army made and hid in above Omaha beach, and lastly, to the German cemetery.










For Dad :)

Christine and me at the top of a Chateaux

Fun flavors of lemonade at one of the gift shops

Normandy

The American cemetery was really emotional



I found two soldiers from Oregon

Omaha Beach


German bunkers



The German cemetery was SO different from the American one
This coming week is the last of school for the first session. On Friday night everyone is getting together at the school for a party, and each country is supposed to sing/dance/act or do something that represents their culture. The American group hasn't come up with anything yet. Suggestions?








  




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing all the great photos! a lot of us are enjoying your blog, so keep it coming! Will there be a whole new group of friends the second term?

    ReplyDelete